Thursday, January 24, 2008

Hooray, it's almost finished! Picture a Christmas chapter 7

I sat in front of Joseph, admiring what I had captured in his face, but frustrated that he didn’t have a family yet. I knew how I wanted the painting to look by now, but I didn’t know how to do it. I sat back and closed my eyes, letting my mind relax. My thoughts drifted from Mary to the party last night. I smiled. I thought of the good friends we had made last night, how happy Madeline had looked. An image popped into my head, and I sat up quickly.

When it started getting late last night, Liz’s baby had gotten fussier and fussier. Liz comforted him, singing softly and rocking gently back and forth. At last he fell asleep. The image that had popped into my head was of the baby asleep in Liz’s arms and her softly kissing his forehead. I captured this image and burned it into my memory. I knew what to paint. Mary was a mother, Jesus her child. Surely Mary cuddled and sang to her baby, and surely he slept and was comforted by it.

Quickly I began mixing colors. I was excited; at last I had found what I had struggled to discover. As I worked I felt a thrill, I was painting a masterpiece. I knew it. I knew this was the greatest painting I could ever create. After all, what could be greater than our Creator himself?

3 comments:

Lindy-Lou said...

I'm really enjoying this insight into the artist's mind. I am beginning to visualize the work of Liz Lemmon Swindle. Keep writing.

Tammy said...

GREAT JOB, KATE!!!!!

Shua said...

Sorry it's taken me a while to catch up. I've been swamped with homework, and what little time I've had I've been working on my story. What an awesome story though. I have to admit, as I read the first chapter, I wasn't sure how creative it was going to be, but your voice as a writer has really shown through. It's simple, yet exciting and I can taste the words. I've devoured the last 2 or 3 chapters and I can't wait to read the next part.

Awesome.