( I'm revising this story, getting it ready for a writing contest, and I added this little bit in the middle. I thought you might like it. It comes after Mason struggles to start drawing, so he picks up the Bible and reads the story of the first Christmas. At the end of that chapter I added a few sentences: "What was Reverend Haddox expecting? He had told me only the emotions he wanted in the painting, nothing about the people, the background, or the animals. Putting away my pencils and paper, I decided to take a walk to the Presbyterian church on 81st.")
The side door to the church creaked as I opened it. The light came mostly from large windows that were spaced evenly throughout the hall. I walked slowly, wondering where I would find the Reverend. It was quiet, and most of the rooms were dark and unoccupied. As I turned the corner at the end of the hall, I saw light shining through a window in the door of a small office. I peeked through and saw Reverend Haddox reading at his desk. I knocked softly at the door. “Come in,” came the reply. “Ahh, Mr. Farley, good to see you,” he greeted me as I came in the door. “Good to see you too,” I said. “Come in and sit down, please.” He indicated the comfortable chair on the other side if his desk and sat down in his own. I unzipped my coat and hung it on the back of the chair before sitting down. “What brings you here?” he asked, curiosity filling his eyes. I sighed. “I’m stuck. I can’t imagine anything, everything feels wrong, and I just don’t know where to start. What exactly are you expecting?” The Reverend chuckled. “Young man, you need to take a step back, say a few prayers and listen to your heart. Don’t think about the details. I don’t care if Joseph has a beard or not, if baby Jesus has brown eyes or black, or if Mary is wearing blue or green. All I want is something that comes from here,” he said as he tapped his heart. I didn’t know what to say. After a long pause, I sighed and said, “Well, I’ll do my best.” “I know you will,” he said with a smile as he stood, indicating that the meeting was over. I rose and put on my coat. After another handshake, he opened the door for me. “Take care Mr. Farley.” “ You too.” And so we parted. And I still wasn’t any closer to a painting.
3 comments:
Sooo...is this writing contest the New Era one you told me about oh so long ago? If not, you seem to have the info and I might want to take a look at it. (I don't know the symbol for shy embarassed smiley, but if I did, it would be right here)
Yeah, it's the one. I'm not sure when the deadline is, last year it was the end of January so I'm assuming it's the same. I looked it up on the Byu English department's website, but it didn't have the deadline or the address to send it to, so I need to call and find out. Fiction entries must be between 1,000- 4,000 words. I'm assuming that you are considering entering fiction, right? There are more specific rules on the website. I just googled Brigham Young University Writing Contest, and it found the right one.
I hope you both enter and tie for first.
Post a Comment