The bus ride was short, and we got off in a neighborhood just slightly better than our own. I was surprised; I had imagined this would be another uncomfortable rich person sort of party.
After walking a few blocks we stopped in front of a small blue house. The sidewalk was shoveled, the windows spotless, and the shrubs trimmed, but there was an air of slight shabbiness hanging over everything. Madeline pulled a piece of paper with an address scribbled on it out of her pocket and checked to make sure we were at the right place. She nodded and put it back in her pocket. I followed her up the narrow walkway to the front door. She rang the bell and we waited. It wasn’t long before a young woman that looked about Madeline’s age briskly opened the door. “ Come in, come in, before you freeze,” she said happily, beckoning us into the house.
We took our snowy shoes off, and the hostess took our coats. “Sit down and make yourselves at home,” she called over her shoulder as she hung our coats in a closet down the hall. We sat down in the living room on a sofa that had seen better days, and Madeline whispered in my ear, “ That is my old friend Rebecca, you know I’ve told you about her; she and her husband David just moved here a few months ago.” “Dave, come in and be friendly,” Rebecca called to her husband as she came back into the room. “Be right there,” came his reply. She smiled and sat down on the loveseat facing us. “ We’re just waiting for Liz and Steve, before we get started.” Just then, David came into the room with a smile and a friendly greeting.
He sat down next to Rebecca and soon we were all chatting. After a few minutes, there was a knock at the door. Rebecca jumped up, “That must be Liz.” She hurried to the door. They came in bundled up to their eyes and shaking snow off their boots. Liz was carrying an infant wrapped in so many blankets that only its eyes and nose were visible. “Brr,” said Steve “It’s a good thing we only live two blocks down, or we’d be human Popsicles. It’s cold out.” “Well, we’re glad you came anyway,” said Rebecca as she took their coats. They joined us in the living room, Liz comforting the baby, who was protesting loudly at all the blankets still wrapped around it. “Good, we’re all here, lets get this party started,” announced Rebecca. She and David brought in plates of party food and stacks of card and board games.
It seemed like we had always known each other as we laughed and talked over the games and food. “Now this is what a Christmas party should be like,” I thought to myself as I looked around the room. David had his arm around Rebecca and was trying to sneak a peek at what cards she held while she playfully slapped him away. Steve was bouncing their baby on his knee and Liz was jabbering baby talk to it as she tried to spoon baby food into its mouth. Madeline’s hand found its way into mine again; it made playing cards difficult, but we didn’t mind.
In the middle of all this, my mind turned to the first Christmas again. I brooded over the baby. Was the Savior a happy baby? I thought he was- but was he? Did he fuss when he was hungry, or was Mary such a perfect mother that he never had a reason to cry? I was lost in thought over this, until Madeline nudged me, “It’s your turn Honey.” I took my turn and then Madeline whispered in my ear “Snap out of it, you can think later, ok?” I nodded and she patted my hand.
We played games until we were bored, then talked until it was late. Finally, Madeline said that we should be getting home. We stood and Madeline gave out hugs and I shook everyone’s hand, as we thanked them for a wonderful evening. Rebecca brought us our coats, then with another hug from Madeline for Rebecca and goodbyes for every one, we headed home.
No comments:
Post a Comment