(I really didn't like that last chapter I wrote, so I fixed it. I like this much better. Hopefully you do too.)
I was still stuck. I sighed and crumpled another drawing. I was driving myself crazy trying so hard. What I needed was some fresh air and quiet. I found my coat and decided to go to the park downtown.
The walk was long and quiet, and I was soon in Bethlehem yet again. I tried to picture their faces and expressions, but it was futile. I pondered how Joseph must have felt as protector of the Son of God. I tried to imagine it. I thought of Mary, how she would have felt as the mother of the Savior. I knew I was closer to finding them and painting a masterpiece, but their faces still evaded me.
I was snapped out of my reverie by suddenly realizing that I was almost stepping on people in front of me. I stopped quickly, embarrassed. Coming slowly back to reality, I stayed where I was and blankly looked at the father and son I had nearly trampled. They continued walking, the young boy chatting energetically to his father. The father was listening intently, giving small comments occasionally. I started walking slowly again, still watching them. When the boy had exhausted his story, I caught a glimpse of the father’s face as he reached over and put an arm around his son. I stopped, and felt a light bulb flick on in my head. Turning, I headed back home.
Later that night I smiled as I looked at the beginning of a painting. Joseph was finished.
2 comments:
I loooove it!! I loved the first draft also, but this IS better!!
You are a talented writer!
Sorry, I've been a lurker lately, but I've enjoyed every entry!
Kate, I love this story. If emotion is real, there is nothing cheesy about it. You have a gift and you have earned it. Please persist to the finish. I loved both versions as well.
Love, Grandma
Post a Comment