I'm in a very thoughtful mood right now, so this will probably be the most boring post I've ever written. I'm a very harsh critic of books, but you can hardly blame me. My mother has drilled into me a hate for "twaddle", that is to say, trash. Stupid, pointless, decadent books. (I really hope decadent is an adjective) So here are my standards that a book has to meet for me to read it over and over again.
1. Good moral standards. No swearing, no glamorizing breaking the Word of Wisdom, or making it look cool to get tattoos or piercings. All characters must keep the law of chastity.
2. A good moral. Not in the sense that I used above, but a point, a message. Something that makes people want to be better.
3. It has to be well written. I want it so well written that I don't have to try to imagine how it looks.
4. I suppose that 4 could be combined with 3 but it's a important one to me so I gave it it's own category. Wide and meaningful vocabulary is of extreme consequence, weight, significance, majority and prominence on this list.
5. A good plot. It has to have suspense and intrigue. It has to be so good that I don't put it down until it's finished or my mother threatens to take away my cell phone if I don't Put it Down This Minute and Do Something Useful.
Sadly, most modern books don't fit any of these standards. Or they sneak in violations of 1 under the disguise of 4 and 5. It's really quite depressing. But the old classics are wonderful and I find myself poring over them and going back to read my favorite parts. Someday I'll post a list of my Classic Books for you to enjoy. I would post it right now, but if you haven't already fallen asleep, then reading the list would definitely send you into dreamland. So I'll save it for another day.
4 comments:
You couldn't bore me, not even if you tried. I like your list, and I expect you to write one of the books that will live up to your criteria. Seriously, I'm waiting. Hurry up.
I applaud your high standards, Kate. Your parents are raising fine adults and children. :)
Tammy Sher
I don't know if I'm quite that...what's the word...not picky...but, specific in my standards. But I did enjoy your list and I look forward to the list of books so I can start reading them.
When I was young I read classics constantly. I love a good book! My mom used to tell me to stop reading and go outside and play! I have to admit that I occasionally read some fluff now... it's harder to get into deeper books when you have to stop and be a mom sometimes.
Post a Comment