Monday, May 3, 2010

Unsolicited Advice

I know, I know. I've only been dating for a year. However, I do feel like I've learned something along my stumbling journey down Awkward Teenager Road (and the subject has been on my mind lately). I don't think many younger girls read my blog, but here's what I would tell them. This list is not pure dating advice; it's more like How to Be Awesome and Datable According To Kate. :) Please comment and add to the list. What do you wish you'd known as a 14-15-16 year old?



  • Shut up. Pointlesss chatter is an annoying turn off to most people.
  • Practice sincerely listening.
  • Don't stereotype people.
  • "Go and do" isn't just a scripture phrase. Be involved in your interests.
  • Say "Hi" to people.
  • Be nice. Just be nice.
  • Avoid gossip like it's bad 80's hair.
  • The whole boyfriend/girlfriend thing? Not worth it. Teenagers are way too selfish for serious relationships.
  • Relax and quit trying to look perfect. Everyone is too worried about how they look to spend time judging you.
  • Be nice. (Did I mention that already?)
  • Life is good. Enjoy it.
  • Be healthy. You only get one body.
  • Don't wear eyeliner when you're 14. Stick with lipgloss and mascara.
  • Smile!!!
  • Like yourself better than any boy.
  • Don't be desperate.
  • Listen to different kinds of music.
  • Go to church and like it.
  • Learn to love learning.
  • Dress modestly. If you can't run down the stairs without something flying up, falling out, or sliding down, change your clothes.
  • Listen to your mother. She knows everything.
  • Cultivate a good imagination and sense of humor.
  • Smile. (Did I say that already?)
  • Introduce yourself to people in your classes.
  • Keep a Big-Picture perspective.
  • Be silly sometimes.
  • It's ok to turn a guy down, but do it graciously.
  • You don't know everything.
  • Always say "Thank you" when a guy holds a door.
  • Give compliments, but don't gush.
  • Be aware of what's going on. Should you be here? Are you dominating the conversation? Is someone left out?
  • Don't be a picky eater. Try new things.
  • Be ladylike. Boys like it when you are tactful and kind.
  • You don't know everything. (Did I say that already?)
  • Say what you mean.
  • No one wants to see your underwear, belly button, bra strap etc. Seriously. We don't want to know.
  • Don't call adults by their first names. It's just rude.
  • Wear nice, pretty clothes, but don't spend a ridiculous amount of money for a name brand.
  • You'll survive. I promise.

I also love this article that was in a recent New Era. It's probably some of the best advice I've ever read. Also, this book is delightful. I love it.

8 comments:

Lindy-Lou said...

Excellent advice. Are you coming down with Sam to be there when he opens his mission call? You have a bed at our home.

morganne said...

My addition to the list: be Kate.

Also, I love all of the 80s. Even their *awesome* hairdos.


Great post.

Alicia said...

I agree with Morganne--Be Kate. :D

Thank you for posting. It is truly amazing coming and reading this. Everything you put, all that I have read has truly inspired me, providing me with hope, encouragement, and confidence. You are a completely awesome person! :) I think all these wonderful people who also read your blog would agree. In fact, I'm pretty sure everyone who knows you would agree. Keep the posts coming--I enjoy reading them. :)

Leslie said...

Excellent advice.

I would add: Make plans, dream BIG, get a good AND marketable education, persue those dreams, and leave room for God to change it all.

Nicole said...

i'd add:
don't worry about looking fat, guys like girls who eat more than a salad.
No pitty dates, it'll hurt them worse in the long run.
No movies, at least for the first couple dates. you don't get to know anything about a person by sitting silently in the dark.
Don't date anyone that won't allow you to acomplish your goals. If they drag you down, ditch them (nicely lol).

carol said...

oh kate, you are wise beyond your years. i wish i had been as smart as you! truly great wisdom from a truly wise girl. i hope my lindy turns out just like you.

Shua said...

Great advice. Also, I just noticed your desire to "finish a Dickens novel." I very highly recommend Christmas Carol. I've also (sort of) read Great Expectations and Tale of Two Cities. GE-blah. TTC, great story that I want to truly read now that I'm not in 9th grade and would appreciate more.

Tasha L. said...

Kate,
I'm printing this off for my daughters to read, and re-read. Great advice. Your parents are so lucky to have such a level-headed adorable girl for a daughter!
Tasha