Friday, May 21, 2010

Sinfonietta

Well, well, we have another Sinfonietta (Symphony. Long story.) concert on Wednesday. I'm a little worried. Worried? Why? Well, let's see. Our concert is in four days and we are still struggling to stay together. Um, this is an auditioned symphony at a university with a fantastic music program. Playing a piece written in cut time should not be such a big deal for music majors. Something is wrong.

I don't know exactly why we're all off.

All I know is that some people are really upset about it.

Some people are really competitive for seating.

Those might be our problems.

Because if there is anything I've learned about music it's this: music affects your feelings, and your feelings affect your music. Dr. Suzuki, one of the greatest music teachers of all time, always told his students to have a "beautiful heart" so they would have a beautiful tone. Being frustrated and resentful will definitely not help.

Sigh. I'm a freshman in the back of the second violins. I'm just playing because I love it more than just about anything else. How can I help our sinfonietta be unified?

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I'm so sorry. I hate being in situations of conflict. I have tried to become a bridge-builder. By that I mean, I try to plant seeds of positivity amongst the people within my circle of influence. I try to create or offer a "bridge" from one "side" to the other. If I can say something positive and true about a person or a situation that the person/people I am talking to may have some conflict with, I have been blessed to see those seeds grow into beautiful relationships/situations.
I'm not sure I expressed that well, but I hope you never underestimate the power of your influence -- even if you ARE a freshman in the back of the second violins. Your influence is greater than you know.

Mindy said...

Pray? Scream at all of them? No... don't do the second one. I'm sorry! I hope things come together soon... and I think being competitive for seats is silly. When I first went to USU the conductor put me as first chair in the second violins, and there was a sophomore who hated my guts and was very mean and talked bad about me because I "took her spot". I didn't ask for it... the conductor just thought I'd lead a section well, I guess. I didn't know why we had to have all the drama.