Sunday, May 9, 2010

In which I run away.....

I ran away from home. I've been meaning to do it since I was 4. But I sort of did it this weekend. Well, if you count driving 3 1/2 hours with my cousin to stay with my grandparents as running away. It was quite spontaneous though, so it should count. I just needed a break from the young adult male species for a while. What a wonderful weekend. I hadn't been anywhere farther than 10 miles away for 6 months. It was refreshing. Here's the highlights:

  • The drive down with Sam. We listened to Beethoven's entire 9th symphony (very loudly). He conducted the air choir, and I conducted the air orchestra. We ate store-brand Fig Newtons, I read a funny book outloud, and then we listened to Enya (not very loudly).
  • Friday evening with Sam's family. Gee, I have nice cousins. My grandparents were there too, and Sam's best friend. Sam opened his mission call! He's going to North Carolina. He'll be a fantastic missionary. And I miss him already.
  • The 8 piano recital that Sam, Casey, and Whitney played in on Saturday. It was spectacular.
  • Lunch and concert at SC&W's highschool fundraiser. A great little jazz band played. Something about jazz makes me think I can dance. It also makes me want to sit on top of a grand piano in a slinky red dress and sing in my sultry jazz voice. Oh wait. I don't have a sultry jazz voice.
  • Shopping with my grandma for a gift for my mother. I bought her an adorable skirt, blouse, and scarf from Dress Barn. She's beautiful. :)
  • Quote of the Weekend: "Life's too short for one hair color." (Grandma)
  • Evening walk with Grandma, in which I quote Brian Regan until we both can't breathe from laughing.
  • Making too much breakfast with my Grandfather on Mother's Day morning. We forgot that there was only 3 of us. :)
  • Indian food after church with Sam's family.
  • Sleeping on the drive home, audio book, and more Fig Newtons and various roadtrip junk food.
  • Home at last to hug my wonderful mother, eat lasagna, play music, read, and try to eat four pies. (2 pumpkin, banana cream, and apple. When my mom makes pie, she makes pie!)

It's nice to run away. There's probably an expiration date for the acceptable age to do it. And hey, I'm only 17 once. :) And no, I didn't take a single picture.

5 comments:

Alicia said...

This is awesome. :D Thanks for posting. It was very enjoyable to read. :) Sounds like a pretty amazing weekend to me! Too bad I didn't run away when I was 17, eh? :D Now it's too late. Well, my dad just says I'm divorcing the family, moving so far away to go to college. I told him it's his own fault for moving here in the first place. I didn't change where I was going...lol.. But moving to go to college doesn't count as running away, eh? Nah, didn't think so. Ah well. It'll still be an adventure. :D Anyway, keep posting! I love reading them. :)

tracy said...

I'd love to see you in that slinky red dress...

Brooks got his mission call on Thursday...did you hear that?

No deadline on running away...as long as you come back.

Leslie said...

I love the way you write! What a fun "run away" experience!
I'm looking forward to running away with your mom and grandma and aunt!

Jesse C said...

Sounds like it was a great weekend.

Lindy-Lou said...

Hmmmm. This is my second attempt. Loved having you, Kate. Our door is always open.