Sunday, August 16, 2009

Church History Road Trip- Part 6


I'm not saying I'd like to build a summer home here, but the trees are actually quite lovely.


It's beautiful, but flat. I need mountains.

Chimney Rock.



We finally got to Omaha late on Wednesday night. We visited the Winter Quarters temple visitor's center. We were so saturated with church history that we kept zoning out. I'm sorry about that, nice-sister-missionary-who-gave-us-a-tour. After the visitor's center, we ate at Taco Bell for the 126,788 time on our trip. I'll be fine with not eating at Taco Bell for the next ten years.





On Thursday, we visited the gravesite of my great, great, great, great, great grandmother, Rebecca Winters.





It was really cool to learn more about her and make family history a little more real for everyone.





My great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather was in George Washington's army. I think that is so cool. So cool. I can't even tell you. It was one of my favorite stops just because I learned that.


























3 comments:

Lindy-Lou said...

Please tell us Rebecca Winter's story.

Tammy said...

Oh Kate, this is so fun! I'd love to hear the story of Rebecca Winters. One of my greats (forget how many) grandfathers was a body guard for Joseph Smith. I just love church history stories.

ROFLOL about Taco Bell. ;) We stopped there a few times on our vacation this summer too!

Jesse C said...

Very cool history.