Wednesday, February 13, 2008

My FAQ's About Homeschooling

Over the years, I've gotten asked some pretty crazy stuff. People don't seem to understand why I would choose to be homeschooled. Many of them have a stereotype image of homeschoolers ground into their head. Usually it's something like “Kids that are homeschooled are only homeschooled because of one or more of these reasons: 1) they have mental problems 2) they got in trouble in public school 3) they weren't able to make friends at public school. They also are nerdy know-it-alls, have no social life, have no sense of fashion, and are child genius'. ” You can see that, having this in mind, it's a little surprising to them when they meet me, a normal, happy teenager that chose to be homeschooled. Of course it also generates several questions, usually the same ones every time. I'll begin with the least frequently asked and finish with the most frequent.

What grade are you in? I'm in tenth grade right now. I have never skipped a grade and started kindergarten at the same age as everyone else.

Are you doing the same stuff we are? This is usually asked by other teens that I meet at seminary. I usually say that I'm working at the same level but with different curriculum. Usually I have to explain what “curriculum” means.

Do you go to the school dances? Nope. I have never wanted to go to a dance so much that I would give up homeschooling. I do think it would be fun to go to a formal high school dance sometime in my high school career, if I got asked.

What about high school? I got asked this a lot between about 5-8 grade. I would usually say “We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I might take a few classes but I probably won't go full time.” Most of that has come true. I don't go to public school full time, but I don't take any class besides seminary either. I'm happy with being in charge of my own education, not to mention being away from all the crap at the high school (drugs, alcohol, p.d.a., swearing, etc.) Luckily, collages have become more open to homeschooled students, and few require an actual diploma. Most collages just have minimum score you have to get on the ACT/SAT/GED.

Who are you? I get asked this mostly at seminary. I guess it's just such a small school that everyone knows almost everyone else and I'm a new face. I don't tell them I'm homeschooled unless they ask, mainly because I really hate getting stamped with above prejudice before they've met me. So I just tell them my name, and then they usually ask me if I'm related to my cousin Nicole (who goes to school with them), and I tell them yes. And that's usually all there is to it.

Why are you homeschooled? Because I want to be. Because I'm used to it. Because I don't want to be a part of the “clicks” and the labels. Because I don't want to hear twenty thousand or so swear words a day. Because I have a good teacher already. Because cafeteria food is gross. Because I don't want to ride the bus. Because RHS is creepy. Because I don't want to drive forty minutes a day to get an education. Because I like having unlimited access to my own fridge. Because I'm never late to class. Because I can rearrange my schedule whenever I want. Because I have a deep hatred of drama. Because I can do school backwards if I feel so inclined. Because I like being different. Because.

Do you take tests? Not so much. Occasionally I'll have a math test, but never in anything like english or history. When we were part of a long distance charter school for three years, I took the ISATS, but other than that I haven't taken any other state tests.

What about friends? Um, just because I'm homeschooled doesn't mean I'm a hermit. I have friends that homeschool, I have friends at church, and I make new friends at seminary and Youth Symphony. I don't consider myself friendless because I'm not constantly hanging out, or texting, or talking on the phone.

Do you stay in your pajamas all day? Other variations include: Do you sleep in as long as you want? Do you do school in bed? Answer to all is “Heck no!” I have stayed in my pajamas until lunch, due to a laundry problem. But I find that staying in my pajamas makes it harder to focus on what I'm doing, and it makes me yawn all the time. I get up at 5:30 am to get a head start on my school work, to leave time later in the day for stuff that I actually want to do.

Do you like it? Yeah.....
Yep, this is my all time FAQ. I consider it pointless. Why on earth would I do something I hated?

There you go, all my FAQ'S, with answers. Sometimes I wonder if I would be a different person if I had gone to public school my whole life. I wonder how I would be different. I wish I could see myself that way. I wonder if I would like myself. Hmm.

All in all, I wouldn't change the way I've been/I'm being educated for a million dollars.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you are happy with the choices we've made. You are a great student who really cares about your education. You have developed a lifetime skill of loving learning. It will serve you well. Hopefully we will make the right choices in the next two years too. Life is a journey. Enjoy it.
Mom

Shua said...

I have to admit, having grown up with family that homeschools, I have formed my own ideas too, but most of them have been much more correct.

Maybe I'll post something about public school. :)

Tiffany said...

Great post, Kate! I adore you.

James said...

This was a great post. Very informative. You are a great writer.

That is great that you love to learn. I have had a quite a few courses that really instilled in me the love of learning. It is sad that hating to learn is such a popular attitude in young kids.

Mindy said...

It was fun to read your homeschooling FAQs! You are very lucky to have that option. I miss you guys! Love, Melinda

Anonymous said...

AMEN TO THAT SISTA OR SHOULD I SAY COUSIN???!!!!! Im soooo glad im homeschooled!!! Even just thinking about going to a Highschool makes me shiver!!! I got asked the p.j. question like a million times in 6 grade!!! my answer was consistantly...."it depends on your mother or teacher" and the whole drugs, swearing thing is bad too! I recently heard a story from one of my friends about this kid that i knew from 6th grade
(very scary...never liked him....very emo/goth looking) got some highschool girl pregnant!! hes only in 8th grade!! What is wrong with the world!! People think i don't have any friends also well in public school all my church friends and other homeschool friends (eventhough i dont know very many homeschool people my age) understand...... i am probably driving you INSANE cuz i could probably go on on on but ill stop here......
Luvs Lucy
P.S. See you this Summer!!!!! :] :]:]