Hello. I'd like to welcome you to my first -and possibly last- motivational blog post. I hope you find the seats comfortable. Regrettably, as this is an electronic motivational something, there will be no refreshments afterwards. At this point, feel free to leave if you have better things to do. Ok, everyone still here? Excellent. Let's begin. I would like to address you on the topic of Food Storage. Many of you may know that my mother is a Relief Society President. Therefore, you may also suppose that this topic has rubbed off on me recently. This, however, is not the case. Our journey to a year's supply began many, many years ago...... Ok, not that many, because I'm pretty young. But it was quite a while ago, way before Mom was RS Pres.
I was a still very short when it started, perhaps still in junior primary. We had opened our outdoor equipment business, and it had not gone well. By not gone well, I mean it went down. Needless to say, money was a priceless luxury. At this time, my mother felt impressed to obtain our food storage. Now, with the huge financial difficulty we were in it would have been so easy to rationalize that there was just no possible way to get it. I mean come on, we were barely putting food on the table, let alone in the basement. But she still felt that it was an important commandment from the prophet and that there must be a good reason. Then she read 1 Nephi 3:7 again. And by George, the Lord had given us the commandment to obtain a year's supply and that meant that he would make a way. So with a lot of faith and prayer, my mother decided that she would start canning wheat. She trusted that God would provide, and you know what? He did. Somehow, we were able to pay for and find time to can one year's supply of food for our entire family. It's sitting on shelves in the storage room right now. We've certainly had to maintain and add to it over the years, but essentially it's stayed there, heavy and preserved, waiting to be eaten. And it has definitely been a blessing. Not just because we followed the prophet, but we've lived on it at times. Now, not to get all Molly Mormon on you, but food storage has actually been quite the testimony builder for me. I've seen the promise in the scriptures fulfilled, and I've seen the many blessings from following the counsel of our prophet. So, if you don't have your food storage yet, I strongly encourage you to get started. Even if it's a little, it's better than nothing. If going to the dry pack seems uncomfortable, and you don't know what to do or what to can, cheer up. The cannery is fun. I've been dragged along on many a trip. Ask your RS president if she'll organize a group. If she won't, organize one yourself. Just do it. It's worth it. Truly.
4 comments:
Here! Here! In fact someone once said that having food storage may someday be as important to us as the ark was to Noah and his family. ... Wait, was that thunder?
Thank you for the timely reminder. Thank you for your testimony.
I'm all about food storage too! In fact my mom was just called to b the canning specialist :) I enjoyed reading your though :)
-Lucy
I know. My mom is the Provident living specialist, and I go with her to all her classes etc. And the cannery is one of the funnest field trips ever. Try to get the labeling department. Thats the best.
Post a Comment