Anywho, I'm going to tell you the story about my relationship with poetry. Here we go.
I hated Poetry. He led me on and then confused me. And so I turned away and ignored him. We continued like this for many years. When we accidentally ran into each other, it was an awkward moment before I ducked my head and walked off while Poetry stood there iambicly. Time passed. I moved on; my love for Words grew, and Poetry seemed forgotten. But Words was tough. I struggled to gain favor, trying attract attention. As an attempt to make my way with Words, I began to flirt with Poetry again. (Because, you know, jealousy in a relationship is always a good idea.) At first it was weird. I mean, I'd tried before and where did that get me? But slowly a new relationship unfolded. I didn't want to acknowledge it at first; I now knew that I had been in the wrong the first time. I was realizing that my previous bad relationship with Poetry had been my fault. And now, so many years later, he was unchanged and my heart was ready. Ready to jump into something wonderful. And so we did. Since that day, Poetry and I have been happy together. He's taught me to stop and think, to look and see, to read the white space, to savor language, to slow down when I read, and to read with my heart and my head. And isn't that poetic?
Ps. In case you're wondering, Words and I are just good friends now.
7 comments:
Kate, that is some FABULOUS writing!
Oh, Kate! You make me laugh in a very good way. You have such a way with words and a way of making everything into a fun story. I love you!
Incredible writing. I can definitely relate. I love poetry now. I mean, Poetry.
Great Kate.
How fun was that!?! I also love Poetry and have tried my hand at it along the way. Love it! Love you!
Love it! You are talented!
I enjoyed this so much I had to read it to Bob and Aliysa. They both loved it too. Really, that should be published somewhere.
We love your blog.
Tasha
Post a Comment