Thursday, June 10, 2010

Book Group Idea

If you are a part of a book group and need an idea for a great disscussion, look no farther.

Read Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and Mary E. Pearson's The Adoration of Jenna Fox during the month. Neither is very long, you could do both. Or just picking one is perfectly legal. Both books deal with essentially the same questions of humanity, ethics, family, and science, but in very, very different ways. It would be fascinating to share thoughts and opinions on both of these great books that were written almost 200 years apart, but still have similarities. (The authors even have matching first names!)

If you have this disscussion, invite me. I love talking about books. Especially deep, entertaining, and slightly freaky books.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Kate, I have to tell you of a series (3 books) that Emily and I devoured. The story is about how life is affected when a meteor slams into the moon and knocks it close to Earth. The first book (Life As We Knew It) is from the perspective of an 11th grade girl in...oh gosh I can't remember...a midwest state maybe? The second book (The Dead and the Gone) is from the perspective of an 11th grade boy in New York City. The third book (This World We Live In) is the story of both of them when they meet. We could NOT put them down. Fascinating!!! And if you read them (they are all at the library here in town), let Emily and me know what you thought of them! :)

Kate said...

Sweet! I love good books! Have you read Frankenstein? It's nothing like you would imagine. Very brilliant book.

Tammy said...

No, I haven't read it...it always looked kind of scary to me, lol. I think Emily has, though. I'll have to ask her what she thought of it!