Monday, June 22, 2009

Good Books

I dig books that make me think. I just finished The Virginian and Three Cups of Tea, and I'm reading The 5000 Year Leap, Mere Christianity, and The Book of Mormon (I'm in 3rd Nephi) right now. They have made me think about Natural Law, a.k.a. inborn knowledge of Right and Wrong, or Conscience, or the Light of Christ. The virginian cowboy is not a member of any congregation, but still holds himself to a high standard of decent, moral behavior. In Three Cups of Tea, the Muslim people of Pakistan are good people with morals similar to ours. The 5000 Year Leap has a few excellent chapters on Natural Law, and Mere Christianity does too. I just finished Alma and Helaman last week, and have spent some time thinking about the Nephite's spiritual rollercoaster and how some of the people not only rejected the gospel, but completely hardened themselves to the Spirit. I haven't come up with anything deep, so don't get your hopes up. :) None of this may come across the way I've been thinking, so just read the books yourself and see what you think. I very highly recommend all of them.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Let's just say that, other than the Book of Mormon, I wasn't doing any sort of deep reading like you are doing when I was your age. You are mature beyond your years.

Lindy-Lou said...

Yes, Leslie is right about that. It's humbling to see your grandchildren exhibiting signs of greatness.

Thanks, Kate, for the recommended reading. I had forgotten about The Virginian. When I finish Truman and the 5,000 Year Leap I believe that will be my next read.