Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Good Week in Review

Running- I am addicted to running. I love getting up early, feeling groggy and thinking, "Why the heck am I getting up so early to run down the road? I'm crazy." Then I start running and I know why. And then I come back and stretch my sore muscles and take a shower and feel like a million bucks. I ran three miles this morning; it was the farthest I've ever run in my life. We're running a 5K sometime this summer, and I'm pretty excited about it. By the way, I'm reading a fantastic book called "Running and Being- The Total Experience" by George Sheehan. I have a stack of books on running, and this one is absolutely the best. I'd read it even if I wasn't into running.
Birthdays- Christopher turned three on the 27th. We had lots of fun at the zoo, and had some pretty fantastic cake. He got Cars, a Lightning McQueen hat, Lightning McQueen toy, and sunglasses. Yes, we are feeding his current obsession. :) Dad had his birthday on the 23rd. I tried a new recipe for chocolate cake, and it was an interesting experience. I'd had hay fever that turned into a sinus infection, so I honestly couldn't smell the cake overflowing in the oven. It was about twenty minutes before Morgan walked in and said something smelled burnt. So I got to learn how it feels to have a cake fail. And boy did it fail. I spent a long time scraping burnt batter out of the oven. And Mom had to go buy a cake mix because I didn't have time to start over. But it wasn't all bad. The oven is very clean now, I learned to not mess around with unfamiliar recipes on someone's birthday, my lower back got a great workout, and the weird stuff left in the cake pans made a decent ice cream topping. Besides that learning experience, Dad had a great birthday.
Plaque- Remember how I said I would get a plaque from the essay contest? Well, actually my mother got a plaque. Yep, they put my mother's name on it. But it's ok because I don't take myself very seriously, and I found it really funny. I'll get one with my name on it eventually.
Music- I got a free song by Great Lake Swimmers. It's called Still and it's one of my new favs. I'm also pretty much in love with Jack Johnson's music, just so you know. :)
ACT- I got my scores..........I got a 30!! Yay! My mother was jumping around yelling "Yes! Scholarship money! Yes! Scholarship money! Yay for Kate! Scholarship money!" No kidding. I think she would have done a back flip if possible. I think I raised it so much just because I'm really familiar with the test and I had studied hard.

Well, that about sums it up. It's been a good week. Have a fabulous Independence Day weekend!

3 comments:

Mindy said...

I love running too... I totally get what you're talking about. :) I was hoping we'd be ACT twinners, but apparently you're one point smarter than I am. ;) (I'm not surprised!)

Jesse C said...

I need to start running in the mornings. I've never really done it, but I know I would enjoy it if I could pry myself out of bed a few minutes early.

Congrats on the ACT score! I didn't get anywhere near that number, that's awesome.

Love the plaque story, tell April congrats for me when you see her.

Leslie said...

Congratulations on your ACT score!

Congratulations to April on receiving your plaque!

Getting up early ... running on purpose, and not for my life ... DOES NOT COMPUTE.