Monday, June 2, 2008

Pure Irony

Driving north on Highway 20, past Rigby and before Rexburg, you will pass several billboards advertising Yellowstone Bear World. One shouts: "Turn Now for a WILD TIME!" Another invites you to "FEEL THE FREEDOM AT YELLOWSTONE BEAR WORLD!" As you drive past you may catch a glimpse of a sleeping buffalo behind a very sturdy chain link fence. Looking closer, you may notice a lone elk trying to nibble leaves from a tree, but failing because of the protective fence around it. Or perhaps you might see a gray wolf sleeping on top of a man-made "mountain". Or if you are really lucky you might see a retired circus bear gaze idly as yet another mini van slows down for a better look. Yup, there's some real wildlife at Bear World. Definitely the best place around to feel the freedom.

5 comments:

Lindy-Lou said...

Kate, I just left a lengthy comment about the injustice of zoos to animals (I know many are rescued from danger and sickness), but zoos depress me as well as entertain and educate. So I'll just say, thanks for seeing the irony. This time I'll sign on as anonymous. It may be safer.
Grandma Oh, now your site recognizes me. How about that.

Mindy said...

I also failed to see the "wildness" of Bear World. More like "sadness".

Tammy said...

I have a love/hate relationships with zoos.

And Bear World just plain old "depresses" me.

carol said...

HA! You have a great perspective on life Kate. I feel the same way about bear world. what a CROCK! Growing up one of my friends was madly in love with the owner's son, so I had to pretend to think it was cool. It feels good to come clean and say I think it is a sham. ahhh. honesty, so freeing!

Jesse C said...

I'm feeling the freedom just reading about it.