The gallery’s name was painted above the door, (suggestions please for the name of this little art gallery), I glanced up at it then walked in. I smelled the turpentine from the oil painting class held in the back of the building and the cheap floral air freshener that someone had just sprayed to try and cover it. I wrinkled my nose; the combination was awful. Looking around, I searched for the owner, Nancy Tibbits. She was helping a customer, and didn’t look like she would be finished any time soon, so I tucked my paintings under my arm and started wandering around.
The track lights on the ceiling were too bright, casting a glare on the artwork and making the tan carpet appear to have a bad case of jaundice. I snorted quietly and considered asking Nancy to change the bulbs. I decided against it and moved on through the displays.I was standing in front of one my own paintings when I sensed someone come up beside me. I continued to study the painting, but glanced out of the corner of my eye to see who was next to me. It was an older man with thinning gray hair and bushy eyebrows. I was about to move away when he spoke, “ Wonderful painting, do you know who the artist is?” “ I am,” I stammered, surprised. “Well, well, how fortunate, you look like just the man I need,” he replied, smiling broadly.
I managed a small grin and asked, “What exactly do you mean?” He smiled again, and I noticed the wrinkles around his eyes deepen. “Let me introduce myself first off, before we get down to business. I am Reverend Haddox, from the Presbyterian church over on eighty first.” “Nice to meet you,” I said automatically. He went on, “This Christmas season, several members of my congregation have complained about the lack of artwork in the church, particularly a piece depicting the first Christmas.” I nodded and he continued, “They, myself included, do not care if it is a traditional piece, only that it shows the true meaning of Christmas. One that shows love, hope, and joy. This is why we raised money to hire a painter who could give us more than the standard print found in a store. ”
"That’s quite the job, how are you going to find someone to do it?” I asked. I already suspected what he was getting to, but I wanted to know more. “Yes it is. I have been searching the local galleries for several days, hoping to find someone who could do it,” he replied. “ Your paintings caught my eye, and I was here to ask about the artist when I was so lucky to find you already here. I believe you have what it takes, now the only question is, will you do it?”
p.s. I am really hoping this story doesn't turn out completely cheesy. I'll do my best and we'll see how it goes.
6 comments:
Kate, this story is wonderful. Can't wait for the rest.
Kate, this is an awesome beginning. I love it.
Keep up the good work.
I'm so impressed with your writing Kate!!! Keep these chapters coming!
Waiting for #3.
Can't wait.
Hey Kate! Completely cheesy? come on give me a break. You're so talented! I love it. Hugs and kisses!
Post a Comment