Since I've had several people ask me about this over the last few days and weeks, I'll give you my thoughts on the transition from homeschooling to college.
1. Academic transition: piece of cake. It requires a lot more time (a lot!), but the material has been easy for me to grasp and remember. Because I was basically in charge of my own education, I learned how I learn and how I need to study to do well. Also, there's a myth that homeschoolers never do well on tests. Poppycock. I've aced every exam.
2. Social transition: nothing but great. I've fit in just as well as any freshman. I don't have any problem starting conversations or making friends. I never felt lonely as a homeschooler. Never. On the Friday after the semester started, I was sitting at the table after dinner and I said, "I feel really weird. What is this feeling? Oh, I'm lonely." It was such a foreign feeling. (I called a friend, and then I was fine.) I've made friends in my classes, so I don't feel so much like a loner anymore.
3. Real life transition: give me a break. Another myth. I have not had a single problem finding classrooms, driving and parking (well, mostly), managing my time, following a schedule, or interacting in a classroom setting. I am an intelligent person. Homeschooling did not hide me from real life functions.
And, since my dear friend Tracy asked (I miss you Tracy!), I'll tell you a bit about my classes.
American Foundations. I like this class. It's pretty easy, but a little boring. We're learning excellent principles about the Consitution and the founding of our country, but we don't really have discussions in class. Our textbook has all the key terms and dates missing, so we have to come to class and fill in the blanks from a power-point. Every day. Yawn. My professor is interesting. I don't really know how to describe him except that he's very smart, close to retirement, and faintly grumpy.
Violin lessons. I love my teacher. I've learned a lot from him already. I've begun thinking a lot about my right elbow, middle finger of my right hand, left thumb, and my ears. Apparently I haven't been using them properly. I'm learning the Bach concerto #1 in a minor. Wow. It's so incredible.
Symphony. I signed up for the auditioned symphony, instead of the orchestra, because I really wanted to stretch myself and learn. Yeah.... For a few weeks I wondered if that decision was heroic ambition or vain stupidity. This symphony is good. Really good. I was struggling for a while, but I managed to pass decently and play well in our concert tonight. I'm loving it now. There's something very, very powerful about symphony music.
Math In the Real World. One of my favorite classes. It's the only math class I have to take. Yippee! I've really enjoyed it and learned a lot from it. My professor is a wonderful teacher with high expectations.
Literature 251. My hardest class. Weird, as I love to read and discuss books. I don't know why I'm not loving it. I'm puzzled. My professor is the epitome of an English professor right down to his wire-rimmed glasses and thoughtful frown.
Book of Mormon. Oh heavens, it's early in the morning. It's not as entertaining as seminary, but it's interesting. I have a great teacher with a lot of energy.
4 comments:
I love how you describe things.
Me too. So happy to have a window into your new world.
fun fun
Kate - thank you for telling us all about your classes! I love hearing about them! What do you do in Lit 251?
We are reading Great Expectations right now for my adult discussion group...you are welcome to come and discuss it with us if you are interested in that...we would love to have you!
In your Math class, are you drawing maps and stuff? That is what we did in my Real World Math class and I loved it.
I am doing Life of Fred math with Blythe right now and it is hilarious. If you want to do a fun math course on your off semester you should try it out. There is a Calculus book and a Linear Algebra...both of which are supposed to be college classes.
I miss you so much at gym! It is just not the same without you. We all miss you and want you back!
Post a Comment