Knock, knock, knock! My mom knocked on Vivian’s door. My small arm was wrapped around her leg, and I stared up at the doorknob. I didn’t mind going visiting teaching with Mom, except for one thing. The doorknob turned, and Vivian opened the door. “Oh hello, April. Come in,” she said with a smile. Then she bent down to look in my big, brown, four-year-old eyes. She smiled, and the wrinkles around her eyes deepened. “And how are you, Katie?” I tucked my chin down and shyly mumbled, “It’s just Kate.” Why does she always call me Katie? That’s not my name! I thought.
Five years later, in our new neighborhood in Idaho, it continued. “Hi Katie!” said Dan, our neighbor across the street. That’s what he said every time he saw me. He thought it was funny to make me mad. Pretty much the funniest thing he’d ever seen, in fact. He never, ever called me anything but Katie. And I never, ever failed to correct him. “It’s just Kate.” “ It’s just Kate.” “ It’s just Kate.” “It’s just Kate.” “It’s just Kate.” Occasionally I would flare up and say, “Quit calling me Katie!! My! Name! Is! KATE!!” But he would laugh and say, “Fine. Whatever you say, Katie.” I’ve always been proud of the self-control I showed in not strangling him.
It’s just Kate. This one sentence has been on my tongue since I could speak. Perhaps I get so defensive because I love my name so much. I love it because it fits me perfectly and holds meaning and purpose.
K-a-t-e: four letters. I happen to love the number 4 and its multiples. Eight and sixteen were my favorite years. (Don’t remember much of four, and twelve was tough.) I also love evenly divided portions. Fittingly, my name has two vowels and two consonants. They are arranged in a consonant-vowel-consonant-vowel pattern. Coincidently, I enjoy patterns and repetition. Even the letters have meaning to me. Two of them stand tall and straight; two are small and rounded. My personality has a few sides as well. (Not that I’m schizophrenic, mind you.)
“Is that short for Katherine or Kaitlyn?” People ask me this all the time. No. It’s just Kate. Although my name is what it is, I like the idea that it comes from something bigger. I like it because I come from something bigger too. I come from my parents and their faults and triumphs. I come from my grandparents and the life lessons I’ve learned from them. I come from my pioneer ancestors and their faith and courage. I come from Washington’s army and the fight for Liberty. I come from all the prophets and their testimonies. I come from spiritual moments in seminary and church. I come from my heavenly parents. I come from all these and more. I come from them, but I still stand as myself. I am who I am. Me. Not my parents. Not my grandparents. Me. Kate. Not Katherine, but from Katherine.
Kate means Pure. The meaning of my name has come to be a sort of banner, or mission statement, if you will. I try to keep my thoughts, words, and actions worthy of my name. I also take it to mean 100% pure Kate: to be always and completely myself. Trying to be someone else is a waste of time; I will never be them, but I will always be me. No matter who I am with, or where I am, I always try to be myself. I’m still learning to completely accept and love myself, but I’m getting there. So what if I’m a little weird? This is who I am, so I might as well enjoy it.
Now, I smile sweetly when someone gets my name wrong. Gone are the days of angry flare-ups. I’ve learned that people will eventually get it right. Eventually they realize that it’s not Katie, Katherine, or Kaitlyn. It’s just Kate. I’m just Kate.
10 comments:
Well, first off, I'm pretty sure I know who "Dan" is LOLOLOL! ;)
As you know, my second daughter is Katie. Just Katie. Not Katelyn or Katherine or anything fancy. lol. I guess Kat"ie" sounds like it should be a nickname for something. NO ONE ever thinks her name could possible be just Katie. So I understand what you are going through, lol.
And for the record, I love the name Kate. And Katie too. :)
And I loved reading this too. :) :) :)
Oh how I love this post and every last comma in it. You are amazing--have been since day one--and I love how perfectly you and your name suit each other.
You should send this somewhere. The New Era, perhaps? I'm dead serious.
This was a totally sweet post! I especially love the paragraph about patterns, vowels, consonants, etc. I totally notice that kind of stuff. I think we're really similar-- especially in our loyalty to our college football team. Unfortunately they are different teams, who happen to hate each other, but you know what, that's okay. :)
Josh
Ditto, Josh. :)
I think this is my very favorite of your posts E.V.E.R. And that's saying something! You ARE just Kate, and yet YOU are so not "JUST" anything. You are amazing in every way and I am grateful for your example and for the beautiful person that you are!
Ahhh, what a fabulous post! I love it. I don't think I have ever called you anything but Kate...that is how I have always known you and have always thought of you as "Kate the Amazing."
I can't wait to see where life takes you!
What a superb post! Do you remember giving me illustrated narrations of books when you were very young? Someday, I hope you will combine these posts into a book and consider giving me a copy. This would be my favorite so far. Sometimes I call you Kate Alexis because I love that too. Beautiful name, beautiful girl.
I am so glad that you love your name. I have personally always thought that it was absolutely perfect for you. I love you so much.
P.S. I forgot to mention that I was saying "It's just Kate" for you before you could speak. It really did start right from birth.
Welcome to my world. You'd be surprised how much two extra letters can totally screw up people's ability to say a somewhat common name. Because my name's Morganne, not Morgan, I almost always get called the wrong name (besides by people that know me). It's bad. I remember one time in third grade when we had a substitute and he was calling off the roll and paused as I assumed he had reached my name. Calmly, he recited "Margarine." Even more calmly, I replied "actually, it's butter." But, yes, that was the worst. Enjoyed this one!
Morganne (more-gun)
Post a Comment