Thursday, October 15, 2009

Five Radio Shows I Listen to All the Time

(Thanks for your ideas and support through my difficult time of blogging lethargy. I will probably use your great ideas in the future, but I just remembered an idea I've had for a while.)


The television holds no charm for me. Our relationship consists of semi-annual meetings at the dentist's office, occasional viewings of British sit-coms on Saturday nights, and a rare Office episode. The radio on the other hand.......well, I'm a little bit smitten. Here are five shows that I listen to at every opportunity.

1. Performance Today. I listen to this show daily. Classical music, live recordings of recent concerts from around the world, news of new performers and conductors, guest musicians, and more. Very informative and fun to listen to. (KBY-I 1oo.5)

2. The World Cafe. I listen to this at least a few times a week. New bands, new musical trends and ideas, weird stuff, good stuff, fun stuff, older stuff. They play music from some of my favorite bands/artists like Neko Case, Postal Service, Old Crow Medicine Show, The Decembrists, The Great Lake Swimmers etc. I love it. They also have guest musicians visit the studio to tell about their music and how they came to be musicians. It's on daily at 2 pm. (KISU 91.3)

3. Car Talk. What can I say? I've listened to this show for almost as long as I can remember. Sadly, I still don't know anything about cars. Listen to it Saturday mornings at eight.

4. Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me! I never seem to catch this actually on the radio, but I get it as a podcast. It never fails to make me laugh and laugh hard.

5. Prairie Home Companion. You don't listen to this? Seriously? Again, I've listened to this for almost as long as I can remember. A genuinely likable show that also makes laugh every time. Also available as a podcast.


I guess you you could say that things are getting serious.

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm a big, BIG fan of 3, 4, and 5. Love them! (And I love you for loving them.)

Jesse C said...

The only two I've heard are 3 and 5. I really like those, so I'll have to check out the others.

Lindy-Lou said...

Katie A, Katie A,
I've loved you since you were born.
And every time I read your posts
I love you a little bit more.

OK, a little hokey, but it's true - and I'm sure you would want to know the inspiration for my little ditty:
Your GR Grandma Thudium knew a little Mexican boy in her early elementary class who used to quote the following as Christmas time approached.
"Chreestmas time, Chreestmas time,
I've heard that name before,
And every time I heear eet,
I like it a leetle beet more."

So here's to Kate, and the approaching holidays!

PS I'm with you on all but 2 and would LOVE to find it on my dial.

tracy said...

Do you like Celtic or Irish music? If so, you should try out The Thistle and Shamrock on KBYI on Fridays at 10 p.m. We LOVE it and rarely remember to listen to it. The host, Fiona Ritchie, has the best accent ever. I would listen to the show just to hear her talk, but the music is great too!