Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Wednesday's Writer - Round Three

Welcome back for another episode of Wednesday's Writer! And just so you know, not much has changed since last week. It snowed today and I'm still sick. Anyway, today I'm branching out and featuring a writer that does not write children's books. My grandma gave me a book by Oliver Sacks, and it was pretty much love at first chapter. I love his books because science is difficult for me, but I still want to learn it. It takes a dang good writer to write about stuff like *brain science and chemistry in a way that I can understand. And not only understand it, but enjoy it too. He took brain science and mixed it with music; he put chemistry with his story of growing up during WW 2. My two favorite things, music and history, made the science interesting.
I was lucky enough to hear him when he was a guest on NPR's Performance Today (my favorite radio show). It was right after I had read his book, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that his real voice sounded almost exactly the way I had imagined it. He writes with warmth, humility, expertise, clarity, subtle humor, and he speaks the way he writes.

Whether you love science or not, read Musicophilia-Tales of Music and the Brain and Uncle Tungsten-A Chemical Boyhood.


* I wrote "brain science" because I couldn't remember how to spell the real word for it and I'm too lazy to look it up.

3 comments:

Lindy-Lou said...

I'm sooo glad you enjoyed the book. May I recommend another 'readable' science book? "The Science Class You Wish You Had..." by David Eliot Brody & Arnold R. Brody, Ph.D. Actually, you can borrow my copy if you would like to read it.

Tiffany said...

I love this feature! I'm learning a lot!

Leslie said...

I may have to try this guy.

Love you! Hope you get well soon!