Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Writer's Wednesday, or Wednesday's Writer

I'm toying with this idea of sort of spotlighting one of my favorite authors every Wednesday for a while, but I'm afraid of the commitment. Also, I can't decide which sounds better: Writer's Wednesday, or Wednesday's Writer. Or are they both cheesy? Growl. I hate making decisions. So you tell me, what sounds better and should I make this into a five week trend? Or should I just drop it because it's a lame name and a stupid idea? Whatever you say, I'm going to do this at least once. So here it goes.


Roald Dahl

Ah, a childhood favorite. I whole heartedly love Roald Dahl's writing. I love the way he can write such disgusting and revolting things without making them seem...well, nasty. He has such a wonderful vocabulary and vivid description. Besides his bold use of regular language, he has no scruples in making up words of his own. He makes full use of his inner child, writing exactly what children want. If I owned more of his books, I would quote some of my favorite parts, but you'll just have to take my word for it and read them for yourself.

My favorite books by Roald Dahl:

The Wonderful Tale of Henry Sugar, and six others. (A collection of short stories for older children and adults. Wonderful.)

Danny, the Champion of the World. (A longer chapter book. Great father/son story. Exciting.)

The Twits. (Short and gruesome. Love it.)

The Giraffe, the Pelly, and Me. (Lovable picture book. Awesome illustrations.)

The Fantastic Mr. Fox. (Excellent. A classic.)

The Witches. (Just the right amount of creepiness.)

George's Marvelous Medicine. (Every kid dreams of making a magic potion, or at least stirring everything in the house together to see what happens. Entertaining.)

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Wednesday's Writer.

I remember being more than a little creeped out by something I read of his. I don't think I read anything of his since then. Maybe I'll have to give him another try.

Thanks for the recommendation.

tracy said...

Wednesday's Writer for sure! I can't wait to see who you spotlight next!

Jesse C said...

I really like his writing too. I like Wednesday's Writer.

Tiffany said...

I love this idea. Keep it up!