Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Wednesday's Writer- Carl Hiaasen

What I love about Carl Hiaasen's writing is the lack of clutter. Every sentence has exactly the words it needs, no more. Clutter is a problem most writers struggle with, so his writing is particularly refreshing. He has the knack of conveying a scene, a tone, an emotion, an event, with a few words. I also love the way he can create believable characters and use them to shape the way the story moves. All his books are set in Florida; he has a passion for its wildlife and environment that helps give the books his personal flavor. Another thing I admire about his writing is his use of showing and telling. Enough showing to keep it real, enough telling to keep it moving. I also love how he writes to show kids that even one person can make a difference in the world. Check out his writing with his two children's books, Hoot and Flush.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I will definitely check him out. I love the idea of clutter-less writing.

Lindy-Lou said...

I'm very good at clutter.