Fact 1: I live in Idaho.
Fact 2: It is January.
Fact 3: I am in a constant state of mild hypothermia.
Because of these above-mentioned facts, I have become an expert at staying warm. Ok, not exactly an expert because I still spend most of my time shivering. But I do have a few tricks up my long sleeves. (By the way, I really am in a mild state of hypothermia. My normal body temperature is 97.5; other people run about 98.6.)
Kate's Cold Weather Trick #1
Exercise in the morning, even if it's only for a few minutes. Think of it as jump starting your engine.
KCWT #2
Take a cold shower. When you get out, your house will feel comparatively warmer. (I've never actually tried this, but it sounds reasonable in theory.:))
KCWT #3
Buy a cheap pair of ankle length leggings (mine were $5 at Wal-Mart) to wear under your jeans. They are like long johns except you will never get overheated, they don't come above your belly button, they don't bunch up, they are soft and stretchy, and you can wear them with a skirt. Brilliant.
KCWT #4
Drink something warm with breakfast. You can go with hot chocolate if that's your thing, but I prefer herb tea. If you really want some heat, make some Honey Lemon Cayenne Tea. Take a mug of piping hot water and add lemon juice and honey to taste, then sprinkle in a tiny bit of powdered cayenne. It will warm you to your toes, and it's a great remedy for a sore throat. If you aren't quite brave enough for cayenne, Celestial Seasonings makes a cinnamon tea called Bengal Spice that is really really yummy and will warm you right up.
KCWT #5
Eat more food. Staying warm requires extra calories.
KCWT #6
Eat lots of hot sauce. Chili peppers raise your metabolism which warms you up and burns off all those extra calories you just ate. :)
KCWT #7
Think warm thoughts and watch heart warming movies.
KCWT #8
Wear knee length socks.
KCWT #9
Move to Arizona.
KCWT# 10
I'm trying to think of another one. I just asked my mom how she stays warm. Her reply: "I freeze." I guess I won't be able to round it off to an even ten. Sorry.
3 comments:
Yep. Layering works very well, top and bottom. And warm drinks. Very good. Also, your mind is amazingly good at believing what you tell it. Try saying outloud, "I believe this is our January thaw. I feel much warmer than yesterday." I heard a story once about a person who was locked in a walk-in freezer overnight and froze to death, which was quite amazing medically because the power was out and it wasn't cold enough in the freezer to have caused anyone to freeze to death.
I think I will try some of these since my current method (complaining incessantly) isn't working very well!
Thanks!
ditto to Tiff.
Post a Comment