Wednesday, August 6, 2008

One twist cone please.

Went to Arctic Circle today. I was craving ice cream. Parked in the parking lot, walked inside, ordered my twist cone. Sat down next to the window. The nice lady at the counter walked across the restaurant to bring me my twist cone. I licked the chocolate side first, then the vanilla. Mmmm. Balance and harmony in a cone. Vanilla: Nice, sweet, calm, plain, normal, boring. Chocolate: Flavorful, rich, powerful, exotic, pushy, outgoing. Don't forget the cone. Crunchy and bland, firm and steadfast, holding it all together. Too much of any and I'd end up disappointed. Together, they blend into a Just Right concoction. So I sat and licked my twist cone. And thought a Deep Thought. And that Thought was this: I am like a twist cone. My down to earth, common sense, no nonsense side is like the vanilla. Not very exciting, but very essential to my survival. Always holding back and balancing out my chocolate side. My chocolate side is my crazy side. Wild and exuberant, this side of me dances in the rain, sings opera in public, belches loudly, tries to write with a pen between my toes, doesn't care if my room's a mess, and wants to speak chicken language. The cone is my spiritual side. My testimony, my family, and my love of the scriptures and church. This is what holds me together and keeps me off the floor. I wouldn't be a twist cone without the cone. Thank you Arctic Circle for helping me become a little bit wiser today.


So. What flavor of ice cream are you?

8 comments:

Jesse C said...

When you said deep thought, I got really excited thinking it would be along the lines of a Jack Handey deep thought. (I used to write my own sometimes.)

Surprisingly, even though it was not hilarious, I was not disappointed with your deep thought. I like the analogy almost as much as I like a good twist cone.

John said...

Wow, Kate. You always surprise me.

I don't know what flavor of ice cream I would be. Probably something with fruit and nuts :-)

Shua said...

I have thoughts like these sometimes, I just forget to blog about them. Life is like a paper-shredder...ok, that's not one of my better ideas, but you get my point :)

Lindy-Lou said...

I don't know what flavor of ic I am, but my favorite 'stiff drink' is the German chocolate mini shake at the Iceberg Drive-In on 900 East and 3900 South. It has everything (except a cone, so it isn't very spiritual - but then neither am I when I occasionally drive all that way just to indulge my tastebuds and satisfy that 'I need comfort' feeling that comes with life). But it does have nuts (pecans) and fruit (shredded coconut), John, and chocolate and some caramel. Ok this is way off the topic, but it's what your q made me think of. I really, really appreciated your 'Deep Thought'. You are wise beyond your years.

Tammy said...

I have no clue what flavor I am, Kate. lol

I just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading your writing. You really have a talent of it!

Anonymous said...

I think I'm cookies and cream!! Not only because its my favorite, but because I have my not very outgoing side the vanilla!! But then when you bite into the cookie that is like my crazy or outgoing side(I guess thats what you could call it)!!

I don't know how good that was, but I gave it a shot!

carol said...

How insightful and wise you are, Kate. You should write a book.
oh, and I think i would be a chocolate dipped cone from Dairy Queen. I start of pretty out-going, but underneath I am pretty shy and boring.
I loved seeing you at the garage sale and am still wallowing in disappointment that your shoes didn't fit me. :(

Anonymous said...

Wow you thought of that all while we were eating ice cream?
~Lucy