Thursday, September 9, 2010

Good afternoon! This is Kate. How can I help you?

After 3 years of working purely with children, I am now a receptionist. Here's 10 facts about my job:

1. I am no longer afraid of the phone. I could call the president without a problem.

2. I am now hardwired to answer the phone. If I'm in the backroom doing filing work when the phone rings, I can sprint across the office and get it on the second ring.

3. When I come home from work, I still run for the phone. However, I have yet to say, "How can I help you?"

4. It's nice to work in an office where people are beaten if they have a negative attitude. Just kidding about the beating. It's just nice to work in a very positive office.

5. I'm really good at smiling.

6. Really, the keys to being assertive on the phone are smiling and asking questions. For example, if a caller says, "Is this a telemarketing position?" then I say, "Absolutely not. Is that what you were looking for?" If they say, "Where are you located?" then I say, "On 17th. Are you familiar with that part of town?"

7. We have some interesting people come into the office. I'm learning to treat everyone exactly the same.

8. Calling people "hun" on the phone will make them more likely to show up for their interview.

9. I don't like calling strangers "hun". But it works, so I do it.

10. You should buy some Cutco. Or sell it. I can help you with that.

2 comments:

Jesse C said...

You are great.

Lindy-Lou said...

May I have your autograph? It will be easier now than when you are famous. You just shine.